Thursday, February 6, 2014

My (mostly) chemical-free home.

A while ago I decided once we finally moved into our new home (it was a 4 month long buying process) that I was going to make it "chemical-free". Considering my limited, but growing knowledge of the ingredients I need and how to use them, on what, I am sure this will be fun experience for everyone.  :)



The things I make thus far are:

  • General household cleaner and sanitizer - my recipe here
  • Kitchen/bathroom cleaner and sanitizer - my recipe here
  • Laundry detergent - my recipie here
  • Floor cleaner - Mop with a bucket of hot water, 10 drops of lemon essential oil, 10 drops of pine or cedar essential oil, 2 cups of white vinegar.
  • Glass cleaner - Spray window/mirror with 1 part white vinegar and 3 parts water, wipe with wet (with water) microfiber cloth.
  • Fabric softener - my recipie here
  • Rinse-aid for the dishwasher - I just use white vinegar.
  • Fabric/room freshener - Still perfecting it, will post when I am happy with the results.
  • Fruit/Veggie wash - I fill sink/bowl with water, then add about a cup of white vinegar.
  • Wood oil - 1 cup olive oil, 10 drops cedar oil, 10 drops lemon oil.
  • Mouth wash- my recipe here
  • Hand/Body Soap - my recipes here
  • Teeth Whitener - 1 part hydrogen peroxide (pre diluted to 3%), 1 part water. Swish, Spit, let bubbles work for a bit, then swish with mouth wash.
  • Toothpaste - I get my recipes for this from here (for now until I come up with my own)
  • Hair Gel - here
  • Solid Loton - here
  • Healing Salve - here
  • Face scrub - coming soon
  • Body butter - here (This is someone else's recipe that I have used. I will post my own version soon)
  • Shaving Cream - same as body butter (above)

The things I still buy (but get the least chemical filled brands/types I can find) are:


  • Hand/Body Soap - from here
  • Shampoo/Conditioner - also from here
  • Deodorant - Buy from here or I make the recipe posted here 
  • Bubble bath - from here
  • Sunscreen - same as bubble bath
  • Automatic dishwasher detergent - from here
  • Dish soap - same as dishwasher detergent
Just as a side note; I do not have any affilation with the above companies. They are simply the ones that work for me, and have less "bad stuff" in them then most.

A majority of the things on the "buy" list I have tried to make, I just haven't found a recipe that I really like yet. As far as makeup and other beauty products I have not converted over 100% yet. Mostly because I almost never wear makeup (as in once every couple of months) so I don't feel that is a big concern at this time. I also still buy regular chemical-filled mousse. I just haven't found anything that makes me happy that is natural yet. When it comes to chapstick and things of that nature I use a variety of natural brands. Coconut oil, and almond oil are about the only things I use as moisturizer, lotion, or face creams.









Want to get good quality essential oils? Click here.



No comments:

Post a Comment