Friday, June 14, 2013

Homemade Healing Salve

My son and I were playing outside in the sprinkler the other day, eating fresh peaches and enjoying a beautiful summer day. When we came inside I noticed both of us had several bug bites and a few scrapes on our legs. After thoroughly cleaning the wounds with water and calendula goats milk soap, I decided I should put some sort of salve on it to help heal quicker and relieve the itching. That is how I came up with my very inexpensive (especially if you keep these ingredients on hand like I do), easy, and effective healing salve.

Homemade healing salve

Ingredients: 

1/4 cup coconut oil 

1 tablespoon dried calendula 


Directions:

Warm the coconut oil just enough so it is a liquid (this can be done by putting it in glass jar and running warm water over it until the coconut oil melts). Once you have your liquid coconut oil, mix 1 table spoon of the calendula into the coconut oil. I added a couple extra pinches of it just for good measure. Once mixed store your salve in a airtight container in a cool place. If it is too warm you will have coconut/calendula soup instead of salve. 

I use this on bites, scrapes, burns, ect. You can add a few drop of lavender essential oil to give it antibacterial, antiseptic, and slightly pain reliving properties. 

This salve helped soothe the itching, and helped my son and I heal up quickly from our bug bites and scrapes. I will be sure to keep some on hand for the rest of the summer!


Want to get good quality essential oils? Click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment