Sunday, July 14, 2013

Toddler vs Tomato

Toddler vs Tomato

There are many reason I love having a organic garden. However, today I am so thankful that I did not have to worry a bit when my son was standing beside me today while I picked a freshly ripen tomato from the vine, then proceeded to grab said tomato and eat it. There was no need to take it away from him to wash it, I didn't have to be concerned about what or when I just sprayed or sprinkled anything on the garden. He got to enjoy his very fresh tomato and I got to be happy about it.

By the way, he hasn't ever actually liked tomatoes before. I usually provide him some on his plate when we are eating them, but he hasn't been a big fan until tonight when he ate the whole thing in the garden!

Last week he did this with a cucumber, fresh from the garden and has been eating cucumbers since. I guess he just needed to see where they come from. I am so happy my 14 month old is enjoying these fresh vegetables.


Does your toddler eat veggies?




Want to get good quality essential oils? Click here.

2 comments:

  1. My goal was an organic garden as well, now my tomatoes have blite...what would you do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I have read that the best way to prevent blite is to have very good soil. Also for next year you need to make sure to rotate them so they don't get it again from the soil they are in this year. Are you doing companion planting? I would also consider that for next year. However, for this year I would try Baking-Soda Spray.

      Baking soda contains sodium bicarbonate, which has antifungal properties that can help naturally control early tomato blight, powdery mildew and anthracnose. Baking-soda spray consists of 1 tablespoon of baking soda mixed with 2 1/2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Once you have thoroughly mixed the baking soda with the oil, add 1 gallon of water and 1/2 teaspoon of castile soap. For easier application, transfer the baking-soda mixture to a pump sprayer and thoroughly apply the spray to the tomato plants, ensuring the mixture covers both the upper and lower leaves as well as the soil. Multiple applications every 5 to 7 days may be needed in order to control the fungal disease. The baking-soda spray can be used as a preventive measure or to control the fungus at the first signs of infection.

      Delete