Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Success!

Tonight was a major break through on "operation nap/bed time change" of putting the little man to bed without mama laying beside him. Usually for him to go to bed for the night it requires me to lay down and nurse him in bed. I love co-sleeping and nursing, neither of which I'm looking to change right now. The goal right now is to work toward the little man taking naps without me being beside him the whole time, and being able to be put into bed without me being there for at least a couple hours. He seems to like to go to bed around 8pm, which is great, except I want to go to bed around 10pm. Those 2 extra hours a day I would love to be able to spend with my husband without one of us holding a baby, or even get some cleaning done and some prepping for the next day (meals, laundry, ect). However, as things are the little man needs his mama to lay down and nurse him, then stay beside him while he sleeps. We haven't had much success, yet, with the napping alone because he has been teething, which requires extra nursing and cuddles. I do think we are on the right track though. He is been unlatching and rolling over so that is a step in the right direction. However, tonight we had a major break through! The little man accidentally skipped his afternoon nap (it got late in the day and then dad came home, then it was dinner time) so he was ready for bed at 7:30pm. I took this opportunity to try something. I sat in the rocking chair and nursed him, he very quickly fell asleep, then unlatched. At this point I took him to the bed and laid him down (something that hasn't been successful since he was about 2 months old). He opened his eyes, and then fell right back to sleep! It was amazing! It lasted about an hour before he started looking for me. I still count this as a major success because dad and I got to hang out on the couch and hold hands just the two of us for an entire hour! Also, the little man was laid down and stayed asleep! I am so excited! I think this is the beginning of "operation nap/bed time change" being successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment