Sunday, February 24, 2013

I miss cloth diapers.

My son has been in only cloth diapers since the very first day he came home (until recently). This hasn't been without its challenges. There have been type/brand changes, and then change again once he got bigger. I'm pretty sure we have used every single style that they make. I love using cloth diapers on him. I think they are much safer and better for his skin, and I know they are loads better for the environment and my bank account.

Because of a strange series of events my son, husband, dog, cat, and I are living temporarily at my parents house. It was supposed to be for a month or two, and has turned into almost 5 months. Don't worry we are moving into our own house soon. Like I said, it was a strange series of events that brought us here for this long.

Back to the diapers. I had zero intentions of putting my son into a disposable diaper from the beginning. I would much rather make cloth work regardless of our situation. However, the washer I must use while at my parents is not cleaning the diapers very well. Actually, it isn't that it doesn't clean them it is that it doesn't rinse them well. If you have ever used cloth diapers then you understand what a huge issue this is. Not only are they smelling funny, but they aren't absorbing much (if anything). This is a major problem when the whole purpose of a diaper is to absorb! So I was faced with a decision. Continue fighting with the washer and be stressed out about this issue every day. Which was the choice I made for 3 months. I boiled the diapers weekly, I worked day and night trying to keep them like they should be. Finally, I decided to give myself a break and take the other choice. Which was to put him in disposables until we get into our house and have a washer that isn't ruining his cloth diapers. I did not come to this decision easily, nor did I give up without a fight. It has made things easier and less stressful during this already challenging time. It still isn't a decision I am happy about having to make. So very often I wish I could just make this stupid washer work like I need it to, or that the diapers didn't have to go through a crazy long process just to get back to working order. Which I plan to start ASAP when we move.

Disposable diapers are simply trash. They leak, poop oozes out of them very often, and they smell funny. Never mind how unhealthy they are for my son, and how dry it makes his skin.

I really miss using cloth diapers! Most people probably find that statement strange, but for us disposables simply do not make the cut. Even my husband says he can't hardly wait to get our son back in the cloth diapers, because they are so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment